Since that first meeting Jason has proven himself to be both a faithful friend as well as a competent ministry partner. Beginning as a volunteer during his last year of seminary, Jason and Megan drove to our neighborhood multiple times each week to be part of the early stages of our ministry community. After graduation, Jason began the fundraising process and joined our staff as the Director of English Outreach, a role that focused on running our strategic "English as a Second Language" program, but included much more.
As I reflect upon Jason's impact in the Mission Adelante community over the past four years I think immediately of the breadth of scope and ownership that Jason has in Mission Adelante. He not only sees needs in his own focus area, but also engages across the scope of our ministry. From leading a home-based Bible study and discipling individual men, to overseeing our Resource Center and organizing outings for the men in our community, Jason's impact has been felt in the lives of volunteers, interns, apprentices and of course immigrants.
Of all the qualities that Jason possesses, the one that is likely the most important is his love and dependence on God through prayer. "Prayer walks" in the neighborhood, impromptu prayer sessions before challenging meetings, and a heart-felt sincerity in his prayer-life give evidence to Jason's belief that the critical work of ministry is indeed prayer, especially in an urban context where spiritual enemies are brazenly opposing every effort we make.
As I consider what I am thankful for this season, Jason Schoff's partnership in ministry is one of the most important things. Check our Jason's blog to read updates or to see his recent update video.
In other news:
- Megan M. and LIT student Nayeli enjoyed their visit to the Teen Bible Study at The Hope Center last week and gleaned good ideas for our own Teen Bible Study, which Megan hopes to begin within the next year. Please join us in praying that God will arrange all the logistics for its launch.
- The servant team from our faith community met on Sunday morning to plan for some changes and improvements next year.
- Our four staff members residing in KCK are looking forward to the social time they'll get to share with friends and ministry supporters this Saturday at their Open Houses.
- Painting Day at Mission Adelante-December 5th from 9am-1pm. We need volunteers! Let us know if you'd like to come!
- Pray for calming of the escalating gang violence in our immediate neighborhood, and for the protection of staff and community members and their families.
- Please pray for strength for a pregnant mother in our community who is coping with financial difficulty, marital strife, the imprisonment of a brother and serious illness of a sister. Please pray that she will truly receive the Holy Sprit's comfort.
- Kids winter coats, new or gently used, for distribution through our Resource Center.
- Brown paper grocery sacks for the resource center. Volunteers: next time you buy groceries, why not ask for "paper" at the checkout and then bring the sacks with you the next time you come to the Mission?
- Thursday, November 26: Midterm break. Happy Thanksgiving!
- Monday, November 30, 6:30 p.m.: Volunteer Team Meeting