As a 20 year-old college student home for the summer, exploring the city in which I grew up, I found myself searching for a community that truly “practiced what they preached.” What I found was Mission Adelante: a community of true brothers and sisters in Christ, who live out their convictions in a lifestyle truly reflective of God’s love, and moreover seek God’s love with some of the most fervent passion I’ve ever witnessed. As I worked as a volunteer for Kid’s Adelante, I saw God’s love and majesty work throughout this body without the man-made borders of age, skin color, language or ethnicity, and replaced with love, compassion, respect, and sacrifice. What I found was truly life-changing.
Through Kids Adelante, I witnessed first-hand how God does some very big things in some very small (and by small I mean young) people. As I was embraced by the entire Adelante community, I saw that, while although I was there to help teach, I began to see that others were teaching me. Under the direction of Megan McDermott, Kid’s Adelante’s phenomenal and driven leader, and an incredible group of passionate fellow volunteers, I began to see how committed this community is to one another and to the teaching of God’s love. As I began to work with some of the greatest, most mature and loving children I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet, I saw the deep barriers of today filled and replaced with love and understanding, in both the children I worked with and myself.
From free back-to-school backpacks and supplies for each child, to cook-outs and community parties, from the heartfelt embraces every time I walked in, to the undeniable support I saw for each member of this community, I saw the very hands of God at work. May we as the body of Christ, always remember, “Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. 1 Timothy 4:12.”
A number of volunteers are still needed for the fall trimester in all of our program areas. Our needs are:
- Bhutanese Kids Club: 4 volunteers, at least one of whom is male
- Bhutanese Teens Club: 2 male mentors; a worship leader
- Kids Adelante: 3 volunteers, preferably male
- Latino Teens: 2 male mentors
- Latino Adult ESL: 6 conversation partners
- Leaders In Training: a small group to provide a meal for 20 people each Monday afternoon throughout the school year; 1 male tutor for Wednesday afternoons
- An individual skilled in small motor diagnostics and repair to take a look at our lawn mowers and weed eaters and advise us in terms of their repair. Please contact Molly at 913-961-2984.
- Please join us in praying for the Lord to provide the remaining volunteers that are needed to fully staff all of our outreach programs for this fall.
- Volunteer Orientation & Training: Saturday, September 10, 9:00-12:30. This orientation is a great way to get to know the scope of our whole ministry in one sitting, so if you'd like to find out more about us, even if you're unsure whether you can commit to volunteering, please come!
- Volunteer Team Meeting: Monday, September 12, 6:30 p.m. All of our active volunteers gather once at the beginning of the trimester to prepare for a great program launch.
- Bhutanese Trimester Launch: Tuesday, September 13, 6:30 p.m.
- Latino Trimester Launch: Thursday, September 15, 6:30 p.m