The first time I met Brooke Coon, I was struck by her passion and desire to serve Hispanics. There was a hunger to serve that I have rarely seen and a commitment to the children and teens of Mission Adelante that is uncommon. Over the course of this last year, I have received the blessing of not only serving with Brooke but developing a deep, Christ-centered friendship with her. She was so eager to immediately jump in, but was faithful in waiting on God's timing for her to join the Mission Adelante staff.
Therefore, it is with great joy and thankfulness that I am pleased to announce that Brooke has officially joined our staff part-time as the Latino Kid's Ministry Coordinator! In a short time, I have seen Brooke's love for God impact the community, and specifically, the teens of our community. We recently launched a new discipleship model for our teen Bible study that breaks away from an event-oriented approach and instead, focuses on the relational aspect of a leader pouring deeply into a small group of believers. Brooke has helped to spearhead that new model and is an incredible example of how walking with those we disciple on a daily basis, in small ways, can make a deep impact.
Brooke has also served with our after school tutoring and character development program called Leaders in Training. Her leadership and love for the children has strengthened their commitment to LIT. More personally, her desire to serve the kids has given me the freedom and time to spend more relational time with the children individually.
Anyone that has worked with teens knows what a challenging group they can be. However, with Brooke's leadership, we are seeing the teens and children of Mission Adelante draw closer each day to the Lord. Please pray that God would continue to let us impact the lives of the teens and help them to become instruments of change and faith in our community!
In other news:
- Nine L.I.T. students and four adult leaders spent Saturday afternoon doing a service project at Sanctuary of Hope in Kansas City, Kansas. They had fun working together and giving back to their community by spreading fresh mulch on pathways.
- A knitting cooperative of 12 Bhutanese women and four American women has met both of the last two weeks. The cooperative is a social and possibly income-generating opportunity that makes use of the great knitting skill of many of the women. Thin knitting needles (size 6 or smaller) and yarn are needed. If you would like to donate supplies, please contact David Stetler at firstname.lastname@example.org or 913-579-6115.
- The Latino disciple making team is emphasizing personal spiritual growth. Last week the 20-some team members memorized Psalm 119:103; "How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
- David Stetler has just begun leading a Bible study with two Bhutanese men whom he has befriended during the past year and who are enthusiastic about beginning to pursue Jesus.
- A woman who is part of our Latino church is remembering her son and grieving losing him when he was murdered a year ago this week at age 28. Please pray for this woman to be strengthened and comforted during this difficult time.
- Ivan is new to our community. He's only come to church a couple of times. Please continue pray that God would draw him toward Himself.
- Please pray for our volunteers, outreach participants, and staff to have the endurance to finish the last four weeks of our trimester strong.
- Twelve flash drives for L.I.T. students to use for working on their homework.
- More adult winter coats, outerwear, and shoes to stock our resource center with the arrival of cold weather.
- A high BTU propane space heater for the detached garage that houses our resource center. The volunteers that staff the resource center get pretty cold during the two hours that it's open every Saturday morning!
- Thanksgiving break: No LIT the week of November 22. No Bhutanese outreach activities on Tuesday, November 23; no Latino outreach activities on Thursday, November 25. Mission Adelante office closed Wednesday, November 24-Saturday, November 27.
- Latino Christmas Party: Saturday, December 11, 5:30 p.m. at Bethany Community Center.
- Bhutanese Christmas Party: Sunday, December 12, 4:00 p.m. at Bethany Community Center.
Bethany Community Center is located in Kansas City, Kansas on Central Avenue between 11th and 12th Streets. It sets back behind Bethany Park. Turn off of Central Avenue by the fire station.