|Bhutanese & Latino LIT students on a field trip to Union Station|
The Fall 2012 trimester brought another exciting enhancement to the Bhutanese Outreach with the launch of our Leaders in Training program. It is hard to believe that we already have one trimester behind us and are a few weeks in to our second trimester. It has been such a joy to add these 11 young leaders to the ranks of the already-existing Latino Leaders In Training program. Both programs meet three afternoons a week, but have different formats because the two groups of kids have different sets of needs. Wednesdays, though, have become quite the highlight of each week. On Wednesdays we gather to eat.
Each Wednesday afternoon in the Mission Adelante Kids' Room, something beautiful takes place; a feast reflecting what heaven will look like. The13 Latino LIT kids and the 11 Bhutanese LIT kids come together for a meal with their mentors. Each group provides a main dish, fruit or vegetable, and dessert. The menu is always a surprise, and we've come to expect anything from spaghetti or pizza to flautas or tacos to chow mien or curried potatoes. The parents in our communities take turns providing the dishes, which is something that their kids usually love.
It has been beautiful to watch the kids' relationships grow by way of sharing meals with one other. Foods that may have once looked foreign and weird are now more familiar. Common ground has been found in a fondness for sweet rice; who knew that Kheer and Arroz con Leche were that similar? In a neighborhood where Latino people and Bhutanese people daily pass each other on the street without much interaction, the Lord has made a way for kids from these two cultures to come together every week to learn about His creative nature by learning about the distinct people and cultures He created.
Won't you join us in praying for the trimester of LIT that is underway? Pray that our kids would finish strong and continue to grow in relationship with each other and the Lord.
In other news:
- The Bhutanese Outreach was recently given a generous gift of Nepali Bibles and Nepali language Jesus Film DVDs to share with our Nepali speaking Bhutanese friends who want to know more about Jesus in their native language.
- Four teenage Bhutanese boys have taken on volunteer roles in setting up for Teens Club each week and helping with Transportation Team prep work. It’s exciting to see teens serving their own community and growing in leadership. Please pray that our Bhutanese friends would take increased ownership of the ministry and values of Mission Adelante as the trimester proceeds.
- Please pray for Jesus, the father of one of our Latino church members, who has been hospitalized with various health issues.
- Please pray for one of our kids that is going through a difficult separation from his family. Pray for peace, protection, and healing.
- Please pray for our Bhutanese friends who recently suffered a break-in and theft at their newly opened Asian convenience store.
- One of the families in our community lost an uncle this past week. Pray for peace, and for moments for us to speak truth and love into their lives.
- We are looking for a volunteer who is skilled in welding and would be interested in helping serve on a Saturday afternoon. Please contact David Stetler at email@example.com.
- Three sofas have been requested through our Resource Center. We also need diapers sizes 2-5, wipes, and pull-ups in all sizes. Please contact Molly Merrick at firstname.lastname@example.org
- A dining table and chairs for a recently-arrived family from Nepal. If you have one available please contact Drew Hammond at email@example.com
- Expo dry-erase markers for use in the Bhutanese Kids Programs. Please contact Kristen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bhutanese ESL Volunteer Dinner: March 2 at Lauren Timberlake's house. Please contact Jenny Dunn for more details at email@example.com
- Observation Days: Tuesdays, March 5 & 12 (Bhutanese)/Thursdays, March 7 & 14 (Latino) 6:30-8:30 Have you wondered what all goes on around here on a typical evening of programming? Here's your opportunity to come and see for yourself!