About one and a half years ago, one of our English students came to us with a specific need. Two of her daughters had just arrived here from Mexico. They literally had the clothes on their backs and nothing else. We rallied support from area donors and were able to take care of their physical needs. Besides the need for clothing, we were also able to help them avoid a financial crisis through our benevolence fund.
By meeting this family's physical needs and developing a friendship, they accepted our invitation to join our Sunday night Bible study. The week of Christmas 2006, they decided to follow Jesus. Their lives have not been easy since then and we've been able to walk through new challenges with them. However, the work Christ has begun in their hearts continues and the opportunity for outreach in our neighborhood through sharing resources continues, as well.
The Resource Center currently contains donated clothing, toys, baby items, furniture and appliances. In addition to these goods, immigrants in our community regularly need other staples on an ongoing basis, such as food and consumables for babies, including formula and diapers.
Toward the aim of broadening the impact of Mission Adelante's Resource Center, we need to fill some ongoing volunteer positions, including:
Pickup and delivery: Volunteers who would be willing to answer occasional calls to pick up donations in the metro area and deliver them to our facility.
Sorting and collecting: Volunteers who would help us receive, organize and store donated goods.
Staffing the resource center: Volunteers who would be able to "staff" the resource center while it's open for drop-ins and appointments with immigrants who want to see what we have available.
If you, or someone you know, is interested in volunteering with Mission Adelante's Resource Center, please contact Seth Sears at 913.568.9280 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, a volunteer training event is coming up Saturday, May 24 from 9 am to noon. It would be a great opportunity for interested potential volunteers to learn more about Mission Adelante and our outreach programs. Please respond to Morgan Ham to RSVP or get more information.
In other news:
- Sofie Strohmeier will spend this summer as a Mission Adelante intern with an ESL focus. We're very pleased that she'll join Megan McDermott and Molly Merrick in the neighborhood!
- Jarrett and Kristen Meek hosted all three Bible study groups in their home Sunday evening for a cook-out. We enjoyed a good turnout of friends, nice weather, and fellowship.
- Please persist in interceding for M & V, who continue to experience crisis in their marriage and family. After a year and a half in the Mission Adelante community, their personal struggles are causing them to isolate themselves. Ask that the Lord's peace would saturate their home and that they would choose to persevere in their faith.
- Pray for Megan, Molly and Sofie as well as Mission Adelante staff members Jarrett and Jason as they prepare for this summer's internship program, which begins May 31.
- 8-foot folding tables
- round tables
- gas grills
Important upcoming dates:
- Saturday, May 24 @ 9:00 a.m.: Volunteer Orientation & Training
If you're interested in volunteering with us in the future, or if you're a current volunteer who's never had the opportunity to come to the Orientation & Training, please plan to attend! You'll get an overview of the various ministries of Mission Adelante, as well as information specific to the area that is of most interest to you.
- June 5: Summer ESL classes and Kids Adelante begin