The highlight of the event came when eight-year old Andrea Flores expressed her desire to receive Christ as her savior after the gospel presentation. Andrea has been involved in Kids Adelante now for more than a year. Slowly but surely God has used the scriptures and His love shown by various volunteers to draw Andrea to Himself. Because of her ongoing involvement in Kids Adelante I have no doubt that she understood quite clearly the step of faith she was taking, and that God will see to it that she receives the continuing encouragement and nurture that she needs to grow in Christ. Please praise God with us for what He has done in Andrea’s life and pray for her faith to grow deep roots!
In other news:
- The upcoming Volunteer Team Meeting has been rescheduled for Monday, August 4, which is one week later than it was previously scheduled.
- This is the second trimester that English tutoring has been available on Monday evenings for the adults in our ESL classes. There was little interest during the spring, but we've seen the number of those who come growing during the past few weeks. We're grateful for key volunteer Beth Brown's dedication!
- Thiago, a multi-trimester volunteer with Kids Adelante, is coming to KCK each Wednesday evening this summer to play soccer with 7 - 11 year old neighborhood boys and be a Christian male role model for them.
- Jarrett had a meeting with a group of potential Leaders In Training volunteers. A team of at least 5 people is in place to launch the program in September, which will provide tutoring, mentoring, and character development to a select group of kids that have been involved in Kids Adelante.
- An 11 year old girl in the purity Bible study that intern Megan McDermott is leading shared with the group some personal struggles. We praise God that the girls consider the Bible study a safe place, and that they have developed trust in one another.
- Pray for us as we challenge believers in our community to rise to a higher level of commitment. We hope that many of these conversations will take place this week.
- We're thankful that ESL level 1 attendance has remained remarkably high 4 weeks into the trimester. Pray for Adult English students and Kids Adelante participants not to lose momentum during break week this week, but that all of them would be back next week.
- Praise God for the provision of 2 gas grills and a weed eater!
- Ask God for protection and endurance for the Heartland Community Church LTP (summer internship) group, which includes the 3 interns based at Mission Adelante. Many are facing spiritual warfare.
Important upcoming dates:
- July 3: No ESL classes or Kids Adelante (trimester break)
- August 4: New date for Volunteer Team Meeting