As a part of upgrading our delivery system for the Adelante Express we want to be sure we are sending it only to recipients who are interested in receiving it. If you would like to continue receiving the Adelante Express please respond to email@example.com with “subscribe” in the subject line. After February we will no longer send the “Adelante Express” to people who have not specifically asked to receive it.
Giving More Than Just a Hand
Every Saturday morning, we open the door of our resource center to meet the needs of area Hispanics. Our shelves are filled with adult and children’s clothes, kitchenware, toys, small appliances and, sometimes, beds. Of course, the most sought after items are the “canasta basica”, or basic food basket, and baby items such as diapers and formula. No matter what a person lacks, we make every effort to meet the physical needs. In and of itself, this shows love and compassion, but we don’t stop there.
As each family leaves with their selections, we stop to pray for them by name. Mission Adelante strives to set our work apart from the common social justice agency. Helping meet physical needs is only the first part. We want to befriend our neighbors in need and share the gospel with them. Relationships always require more than a simple handout, but they also bear greater fruit. Our hope is that prayer begins to cultivate friendship and trust. As a result, the door to share our lives is opened.
When you make donations to the resource center, you are helping to do more than just meet needs—you are helping build relational bridges. To view a list of the most sought-after items, click here and scroll down to the "Resource Center" section.
In other news:
- Fifteen individuals have begun the 13-part discipleship program during the past two weeks. One of them, Edgar, age 14, received Christ on Sunday evening after completing the first lesson on the topic of salvation!
- Among the group of people who are leading a partner through the discipleship study are five Hispanics who completed the study themselves for the first time last year! This represents significant fruit for our ministry according to our Mission Statement, "Serving Hispanics to Christ and mobilizing them to serve."
- We're grateful for a new water heater in our facility which was installed by volunteer Chris Lang! Thanks, Chris!
- Pray for the continuation of momentum as discipleship pairs get further into the series of studies, and for Edgar as he begins his new journey of faith.
- Pray for strength for the 11 preteen L.I.T. participants to prevail over the negative current of their social environment and influence their peers positively.
- As we anticipate hosting a group of interns for the second time this summer, please pray for God to lead the right candidates to us.
- Diapers to stock the Resource Center: all sizes; any quantity. (Thanks to the Thursday evening volunteers who brought some last week, but they always go fast!)
- A volunteer to fill in as Administrative Assistant at least one afternoon a week during March and April while Morgan is on maternity leave. If you're available and interested, please contact Jarrett at firstname.lastname@example.org or 913-909-0627.