How does a mission organization based in Kansas City impact a ministry starting in Hickory, North Carolina? As all ministry happens . . . through relationship!
I first met Jarrett and Kristen Meek in Bolivia where we served together as missionaries. Working side by side for almost a year in the town of San Ignacio, we grew not only in friendship, but also in passion for shared ministry values. Our experiences there confirmed the value of holistic, relational ministry that equips believers to serve and prepares leaders to multiply the mission. In 2004, I left Bolivia to attend seminary in St. Louis and the Meeks later returned home to begin Mission Adelante.
These past five years, I’ve had the joy of continuing our friendship as I’ve observed the initiation and growth of Mission Adelante. One highlight was a visit to an ESL class in which numerous Hispanics were laughing as they practiced English with their conversation partners. I was inspired to see Spanish and English speakers serving one another and building genuine relationships through which God’s grace abounds!
As I rejoiced to see the Meek’s vision become a living ministry, I realized that God was calling me to follow in their footsteps. Just as in Kansas City, God has brought the foreign mission field to our doorstep here in Hickory. As we now initiate our Hispanic outreach, you may notice many similarities to Mission Adelante. The wisdom and experience of the Adelante staff has greatly blessed us and given us a strong start. Thank you for blessing God’s kingdom work in North Carolina!
Brandon Martin is Associate Pastor for Mission Development at St. Stephens Lutheran Church and Mission Developer of The Bridge Hispanic Mission
In Other News:
- Our faith community celebrated Easter together at the Mission Sunday evening. All the pews were full since the kids stayed with the adults during the service. Congregation participation through songs, corporate reading of verses, and the Lord's Supper allowed the community to respond to each part of the gospel message.
- Our pilot year of Leaders In Training wrapped up this week, with nine of the original 13 students finishing the year. Jarrett and the volunteer tutors are eager to evaluate the outcome to make improvements for next year.
- Christ Community Church is helping host the Trimester-End Party this Saturday by setting up, decorating, providing and grilling the burgers and dogs, and cleaning up. We're very grateful for their help! The party is at Bethany Community Center at 5:30 p.m. We would love for you to come and bring your family!
- On April 25th Molly Merrick and Megan McDermott will be holding a silent auction to raise funds for their staff roles with Mission Adelante. Everyone is invited! Click here to download Megan's invitation. Or... Click here to download Molly's invitation.
- Buy Royal’s tickets to the May 16th game or the June 30th game and support Mission Adelante! When you purchase through the "buy tickets" link below, a portion of the proceeds will go to help us hire Megan McDermott as our Kids Adelante Director!
- Morgan Ham has returned from Maternity Leave. We're grateful for Marla Hansen and Dawn North's help during her absence.
- Seth & Andrea Sears and family have less than one week before takeoff! Their departure to Costa Rica is this Wednesday, April 22. Please pray for final preparation, safe travel, and initial acclimation in Costa Rica.
- Pray for financial provision for Megan McDermott to join the Mission Adelante staff in June as Kids Adelante Director.
- Pray for the several Hispanics who have only partially engaged in our faith community to jump in with both feet.
- Summer clothes, all ages and styles, to stock our resource center by the arrival of warm weather.
- Diapers, sizes 4,5, and 6.
- Although not a necessity, we always appreciate toys to give out to the kids who come to the resource center with their parents.
- Saturday, April 18 at 5:30: Spring Party at the Bethany Community Center, behind the fire station on Central Avenue between 11th and 12th Streets in Kansas City, KS.
- April 20-May 31: break between trimesters
- May 23: New volunteer orientation and training
- June 1: All volunteer team meeting