When you first meet nine-year-old Gaby, you immediately notice her smile and gentle eyes. She has an infectious energy about her that reminds you what it was like to be nine years old, questioning and exploring everything about the world around you.
As Gaby has grown over the last trimester, we have seen her become more attentive and excited to attend the Kids Adelante Outreach Bible Study, often encouraging her brother and sister to attend. Her love for the Lord and her desire to know Him made the decision to invite her to join LIT (Leaders in Training) a very easy one. However, the power of that invitation gave Gaby the confidence to step out as a leader because she realized that we believed in her!
Since that invitation, Gaby has consistently been praying over her family's dinner, even though her siblings often tease her mercilessly for it. At a recent garage sale fundraiser, she desired to step up and be the cajera, or cashier, simply because she wanted to help. This past Saturday at the resource center, Gaby saw the opportunity to volunteer again with the donations being handed out. She saw a need and met it. Without anyone even asking her; she very naturally began to serve.
Many of our kids battle against the societal norm that to love and serve the Lord isn't "cool." We teach them about God's love for them at LIT and the Outreach Bible Study, but when they walk out our doors, the world often paints a far harsher reality that contradicts this truth. Gaby is just one of the fourteen children that will be participating in LIT this year. How incredible it will be to continue to see our younger generations stand up and claim the truth of God's love and passion for their lives!
In other news:
- The L.I.T. volunteer team is nearly staffed! The ten volunteers met last week for training. L.I.T. begins Monday, September 14.
- During our break between trimesters, our staff is preparing and recruiting for the upcoming trimester, which begins September 17.
- Our facility is becoming much more comfortable and inviting thanks to the interior design and decorating of one generous volunteer!
- Please pray for God to give clarity about his will to volunteers that are considering joining our team for the first time or returning for another trimester this fall.
- Pray for our whole faith community to be encouraged by five consecutive Sundays together in worship celebrations, and praise God for four ongoing volunteers to rotate leading the Sunday evening kids Bible study.
- Pray for God to allow local public school principles to accept Megan McDermott's efforts to meet them for the sake of supporting the L.I.T. students to the fullest extent possible.
- People or small groups to provide light, healthy meals weekly for the 14 L.I.T. students on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday afternoons throughout the academic year.
- baby wipes to make available in our resource center
- Help paint at Mission Adelante with your small group or church on 8/22, 8/29, and 9/12. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to help!
- Volunteer Orientation and Training: Saturday, September 5, 9:00 - 1:00
- All Volunteer Team Meeting: Monday, September 14, 6:30 - 8:30