In Matthew 25 Jesus says these words;
37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
At Mission Adelante, we have found ourselves in the middle of a mission field right here in our own backyard. And in this mission field we are surrounded by the hungry, the thirsty, the stranger, the sick, and families of people in prison. Who would have thought that the cross-cultural mission field would come to us, and that we would have the opportunity to demonstrate the kind of compassion that Jesus exhorted us toward right here in our own city!?
We invite you to join us in this mission by serving in practical ways and connecting relationally with people from another culture. Instead of viewing missions as something only a few "super-Christians" can do, why not make it a normal part of your life?
Whether your heart is for adult immigrants or kids, Latinos or refugees from Bhutan, there is a place for you to make an impact with Mission Adelante.
- English Classes for adults (Latino or Bhutanese)
- Kids Outreach Bible Study (Latino or Bhutanese)
- Teen Bible Study (Latino or Bhutanese)
- LIT After-School Tutoring (Latino)
New volunteers are needed in all of our outreach programs beginning in September! Only three weeks remain in our current trimester, so now is the perfect time to come observe what we do and find the program that you're the most well-suited for! Please click here for all the info related to volunteering with Mission Adelante! And now, if you have a couple of minutes, watch a quick video to get a better feel for what it looks like to be involved in our ministries!
In other news:
- The recent heat wave has provided terrific opportunities for several Mission Adelante staff and interns to take kids swimming as they continue to share life with them.
- The Lord has truly blessed the first two weeks of the Latino teens' purity Bible study. By guiding the adult leaders to be particularly transparent and vulnerable on the topic of personal purity, God has brought some of the teens' deepest wounds into the light. While those things are exceptionally hard to resolve, praise the Lord, who wants to heal the wounds each of us have suffered!
- The Bhutanese ministry staff enjoyed dinner with some of the Bhutanese community at a Bhutanese family's home last weekend, and were surprised by how strongly they felt like they were among family.
- Each of our summer interns continues to make a real impact on lives in our community. Latino Outreach Director Jason Schoff reports that summer intern Ariel Anib did a terrific job teaching the Level 1 Latino ESL class last Thursday!
- Please ask the Lord to grant understanding and healing to the Bhutanese community in Kansas City following a tragic death. Ask Him also for wisdom for Mission Adelante staff that want to comfort and care for them, as well as opportunities to speak words of hope to them.
- Pray for Fernando, a teen in our community, that will have eye surgery on Thursday.
- Alberto, a member of our Latino church, has an appointment this week for his doctor to determine whether he needs knee surgery. Please pray that if surgery is necessary, that the Lord would provide the resources for him to afford it, and that if it isn't necessary, that the Lord would relieve his knee pain in another way.
- Please pray for each of the six summer interns to remain totally engaged in their ministry roles here for the remaining three weeks of their internship, and to finish the summer strong.
- A bookshelf has been requested through our Resource Center. Contact Molly at 913-961-2984 if you have one to donate.
- Box fans to help cool the classrooms in our facility. Please contact Morgan at 913-281-6274 x3 if you can donate any.
- Articles of clothing for school uniforms, including elementary and middle school boys' and girls' khaki and navy pants as well as navy and white polo shirts. Please contact Kristen Maxwell 913-980-7627 to arrange a donation of clothing.
- Sunday, August 14: Bhutanese and Latino End-of-Trimester parties at Wyandotte County Lake Park. Mark your calendar now to attend--everyone is invited! More details TBA.