I often stand in awe of parents! They sacrifice their time, money, food, sleep, and even their own desires to provide the best for their children. Since our house church began this past November, we have been looking for ways to connect in a more relational way with the families. We wanted to serve them in a way that would not only bless, but also encourage them.
Since ministry is primarily a relational endeavor for us, those of us in leadership of the house church asked ourselves, "What is something that every parent would want and appreciate, and that we could give them by virtue of the fact that we have relationships with them?" How about a break?
Last Sunday, a few of us from our house church linked arms to give the hard-working parents among us a much needed night off. Some of them used the opportunity to reconnect with their spouse over a quiet dinner. One mom excitedly expressed to me, "We actually got to start AND FINISH the same conversation!" Another family decided to have a girls night out and the grandma, mother, and granddaughter enjoyed some rare quality time together. Each family, without tiny hands and voices distracting them, got to rest and relax in a way that meant something to them.
Meanwhile, all the kids and teens gathered at the Mission for about three hours to eat pizza, watch a movie, play some pretty intense four-square, and enjoy some rich relational time. It was one of the most fun nights I can remember having with them because we simply got to play together!
I know that the parent's night out was meant to bless our families, but it blessed us as well. These amazing children that we are privileged enough to to walk with on an everyday basis, bless us with their laughter, joy, and love for the Lord.
In other news:
- Jarrett Meek was impressed and encouraged at the beginning of his house church gathering last Sunday to find out that many of the immigrants arrived having studied the Bible passage for the lesson in advance and having memorized a Bible verse.
- We're continually encouraged by our partnerships with the people in ministry at local churches, and by the evidence that these partnerships are win-win. This week, some of the leadership from Christ Community Church sought advice from Jarrett Meek and Jason Schoff about a particular matter, which Jarrett and Jason considered an honor and a highlight of their week!
- Praise God! An interview at the U.S. embassy has been scheduled for Yanelis on May 9! Yanelis is the leader of Raices, the ministry we work with in Cuba, and we want her to join us in Kansas City for leadership training during our summer trimester. Now, join us in praying that her visa will be approved, and that it will be issued very rapidly!
- Pray for strength in the marriages in our immigrant community. A particular immigrant family is currently separated and struggling. Please pray for them to become more and more open to God working in their lives, and for God to purify and sculpt their hearts to reflect His character.
- Pray for another family struggling through a difficulty. Pray that they'll find the resources and support that they need, and that they'll have a particular awareness of God's presence and love.
- Our summer trimester of programs is approaching. Please pray with us for God to draw each individual volunteer and participant that he wants to compose the classes.
- Praise God for the new things (understanding, vision, passion and energy, approaches to challenges, etc.) that have been/will be borne of a trip to Nepal and India that the Stetlers, Kristen Maxwell, Drew Hammond, Rachel Yeargin, and Lori Gossenauer have just returned from. Pray for their re-entry into our time zone, neighborhood, and ministry lifestyle.
- A couch has been requested through the resource center. It's also time to stock our resource center with baby's and kid's summer clothing. Please contact Molly at 913-281-6274x5 if you can donate any of this.
- Several 4-8 person tents for the upcoming L.I.T. canoe trip, and tarps large enough to put under the tents. Please contact Megan at 913-281-6274x2.
- Fifteen reusable water bottles for Teens Adelante. Please contact Brooke at 913-281-6274x8.
- Volunteer Orientation & Training--Saturday, May 19 @ 9:00 a.m. All volunteers should attend this training once at the beginning of serving with Mission Adelante. It's also a great way for someone to become familiar with Mission Adelante. If you or someone you know is interested in finding out more about what we do, and about our volunteer opportunities, please plan to attend/encourage him or her to attend this informative training.
- All Volunteer Huddle & Dessert--Monday, May 21 @ 6:30 p.m. We encourage everyone that will be volunteering with us during our summer trimester to attend so we can prepare for a great launch.
- Summer trimester program launches--Week of May 28
- Saturday, June 30 @ 9:00 a.m. Adelante Missions Institute Seminar. We're pleased to announce that Noel Castellanos, CEO of Christian Community Development Association, will visit Kansas City at the end of June. Mark your calendar!