Plans are currently underway to launch a “Leaders-In-Training” program to mentor and tutor the kids in Kids Adelante who have demonstrated leadership characteristics. Our hope is that investing heavily in these kids will help them become positive leaders among their peers as they make their way through the minefield that lies ahead. We want to inspire a vision and hope for their lives that supersede the messages they receive from the urban culture in which they live. Currently our plan is to involve up to 10 students in a three-day-a-week after-school program that will include recreation and tutoring in math and language arts, as well as mentoring in character development.
**Here’s where YOU come in! If you have a passion for investing cross-culturally in kids, there are some pretty exciting and easy ways to connect! We still need volunteer tutors for Wednesday afternoons as well as teams to provide light afternoon meals for the kids each Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. The meals could be a perfect project for small groups to share! If God is moving you in this direction, please call or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how you can be involved. The launch is scheduled for mid-September!
In other news:
- The upcoming Volunteer Team Meeting has been rescheduled for Monday, August 4, which is one week later than it was previously scheduled. This means we will have less than a week to prepare for the summer “graduation” party. Please mark your calendars now for the team meeting on August 4th at 6:30 pm and the Summer “graduation” party on SUNDAY, August 10th in the late afternoon!
- Eight Hispanic and six American volunteers met together on Sunday afternoon and formed the new "Servant Community." They showed excitement for the vision and eagerness to participate. They'll have monthly meetings from now on to maintain momentum.
- Fifteen volunteers came to Mission Adelante to serve during Heartland Community Church's "YES! Day" last Saturday. Despite heavy rain most of the day, they worked outside for half the day and maintained good attitudes!
- Pray for the group of 20 youth from Emmanuel Baptist Church as they prepare to come next week to lead V.B.S. in the neighborhood and do work projects around the facility.
- Continue to pray for the kids with whom Megan McDermott has been pursuing friendships. The kids have come to Kids Adelante with friends in the past, and want to come back, but the parents have stopped allowing them to come, and have also started resisting Megan's effort to spend time with them. Please pray for Megan and Mission Adelante to find favor with the parents.
- The father of some siblings that participate in Kids Adelante is in prison. Please pray for the family to depend on God and to find comfort and peace in spite of their difficult situation.
In order to stock our resource center and provide for families in need, we're requesting:
- grocery store gift cards
- household supplies including laundry detergent, dish soap, and cleaning supplies.
Important upcoming dates:
- Monday, August 4, 6:30 p.m. at the Mission: New date for Volunteer Team Meeting
- Sunday, August 10, late afternoon at the Bethany Community Center: Trimester-end party and graduation