"Lord send me." This simple statement reveals a willingness to go anywhere and take risks. Individuals who speak these words are always welcome members to any team. Jacob and Michelle Holland exemplify this type of individual.
I met the Hollands two years ago as they began to investigate Mission Adelante. They were looking for more than just a place to volunteer; they were looking for a place to invest their lives and make a kingdom impact. What the Hollands had done two years prior to meeting anyone from Mission Adelante was to take a risk for what they believed God wanted for their lives: they moved into our neighborhood without really knowing anyone! This was a huge jump, from being students at K-State and having never lived in Kansas City to a multicultural urban core filled with Hispanics.
Once we met the Hollands, it was an immediate connection. They were looking for a place to make a greater impact and we were moved by their bold convictions to serve. Jacob began volunteering with our ESL programs and Michelle jumped right into the mix of Kid's Adelante. Their involvement has only grown since that initial encounter and our community only continues to grow fonder of them and the part they play in our church, our mission, and our missionary community. When God added to their family during the past two years, they did not look for a reason to step away from serving but have found creative ways to serve as a family. Please join us in thanking God for the Hollands and their impact on Hispanics and our lives.
In other news:
- Coming up on Saturday, July 24, Dr. Danny Carroll will present a Biblical overview of issues related to immigration, especially relevant for all Christians who have a heart for serving the stranger in our midst.The event will be held at Grandview Park Presbyterian Church, 1613 Wilson Blvd., Kansas City, KS 66102, located just a couple of blocks from Mission Adelante. Please note that a fee of $20 per person will be collected at the door and child care will not be provided. The schedule for the day is as follows:8:30 Doors open9:00-12:00 Seminar by Dr. Daniel Carroll12:00-1:00 Lunch, provided at the church1:00-2:30 Policy discussion by Jenny Hwang
- Our Bhutanese and Latino ESL classes and kids programs saw great attendance last week following our break week. Praise God for bringing everyone back!
- Jarrett and Jason enjoyed the opportunity to give a seminar at Westside Family Church on Saturday about creating a great volunteer culture.
- Please pray for the July 24 seminar with Danny Carroll to draw many attendees, as the discussion has the potential to affect change that can impact our church community.
- Join us in praying for our friends in Cuba who are experiencing discouragement in their ministry.
- A baby changing table and pad for our new church nursery
- A twin bed for a family in our worship community