By Jarrett Meek, Founder, Executive Director
On Monday night the National Christian Foundation honored Mission Adelante with an award at their annual Passion Awards banquet. Ninety people affiliated with our ministry, many of them Bhutanese and Hispanic participants who have become owners with us in our mission, celebrated together at the event what the Lord has done among us. As we led up to the event, I was drawn to 1 Corinthians 12:26...
The body is ONE, "If one part suffers, every part suffers with it. If one part is honored, every part rejoices with it"
As we invited members of our community to join us receiving this honor at the event, one thought kept going through my mind: "This is OUR award. So often our community suffers together, and this week we will rejoice together!!"
Indeed we did rejoice, and as we passed around the trophy I was deeply moved by the way God was using this extravagant event to exalt humble people from many different places to the status of honored guests at the banqueting table.
I considered the cost to the ministry of having brought so many people to this event, and I remembered the story of the woman who broke her bottle of perfume and poured it over Jesus' head. When some questioned this seeming waste, Jesus said, "she has done a beautiful thing for me." Mark 14:6. and "Whatever you did for the least of these...you did for me." Matthew 25:40
As we enjoyed this generous gesture of affirmation from the Christian community in Kansas City, I dreamed of what God might do in our neighborhood with this growing group of disciples and emerging leaders, and contemplated what is becoming a new motto for us: “doing with vs. doing for”. It wasn’t hard to imagine God using this new group of “Kingdom insiders” to transform our urban community!
And then there was the coming together of our ENTIRE community; people from Bhutan, Nepal, Latino America, and North America, celebrating as ONE community and I couldn't help but think about the party we'll have in heaven together!!
"After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. 10 And they cried out in a loud voice: 'Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb.'” Revelation 7:9-10
To top it off, I was blessed to have my parents and some of my very best friends there to enjoy it with me.
So, please forgive me if my joy continues to overflow for a while. It's not really about receiving an award or a nice grant for the ministry. It's about what God did through the whole event in the lives of people I love a lot!
In other news:
- Our Latino house churches met together for a celebration service last Sunday and person after person came forward to share testimony of how God had been working in their lives. There’s nothing more encouraging than to see the hand of God at work in those around you!
- Jarrett and Kristen Meek and their family are preparing for a sabbatical next year after seven years of service with Mission Adelante! Please pray for them and for our staff as we make preparations for their absence and they make preparations for a time of learning, growth, and renewal.
- We want to give a big "thank you" to Maria Morris and her team for providing awesome shirts for all of our LIT kids!
- With the help of volunteers, two Latino teenagers are starting a purity Bible study this week for all the girls coming to Teens Adelante. They’re excited to get creative and minister to their peers.
- The Bhutanese Teens Club volunteer team is currently studying the book “Master Plan of Evangelism” by Robert Coleman together. Please pray for us as we delve deep into discovering what discipleship is, and explore the next step for each of us as we try to obediently follow Jesus.
- Please pray for the Spirit’s leading through the two teen girls launching this new purity Bible study, as well as for all the girls that will come.
- Pray for our volunteers and students to experience meaningful relational interaction outside of class together. This is a busy time of year, but full of great opportunities to spend time together, and for our immigrant friends to learn about American culture.
- Saturday, November 17, 3-6:30 p.m.: Mission Adelante Staff House Parties
- Jarrett & Kristen Meek, Molly Merrick: 251 N. 15th Street
- Jason & Megan Schoff, Megan McDermott: 410 N. 15th Street
- David & Brooke Coon: 245 N. 17th Street
- David & Holly Stetler, Drew Hammond: 438 N. 17th Street
- Drew & Lauren Timberlake, Kristen Maxwell: 706 N. 17th Street
- Garett & Jenny Dunn, Hannah Hume: 335 N. 15th Street
- Wednesday, November 21-Saturday, November 24: Fall Break Mission Adelante office closed. No programs Tuesday, November 20-Saturday, November 24.
- Latino Christmas Party: Saturday, December 8 @ 5:00 Bethany Community Center, 1120 Central Avenue, Kansas City, KS 66102
- Bhutanese Christmas Party: Saturday, December 8 @ 5:00 First Baptist Church of Kansas City, 2900 Minnesota Avenue, Kansas City, KS 66102
All homes are in Kansas City, KS 66102. RSVP is not necessary.