A couple Saturdays ago, the Bhutanese volunteers and team had a chance to celebrate our students and the end of yet another trimester of classes. The summer parties are always a special time; they're our most low key parties but are always filled with lots of American culture with the picnic and lawn games as well as Bhutanese-Nepali culture with lots of singing and dancing.
This summer, we had an opportunity to have two outstanding Bhutanese interns, one of who is an excellent dancer. He teamed up with one of our volunteers and choreographed a Hindi dance for a group of us Americans to perform at the party. We started practicing a month and a half in advance; we wanted the first American dance to be unforgettable. And it was! It was fun and unforgettable for the dancers as well as for our friends in the audience.
Here are a couple pictures from the "historical party," as said by one of our Bhutanese friends.
In other news:
- We’re negotiating the lease for Adelante Thrift and starting to pull together the team to help launch sustainable community development in our community. Interested in serving on our Adelante Thrift Action Team? Join us at the next Volunteer Orientation and Training on September 13 (see below for details) or email Matt at email@example.com.
- We are having an amazing time with our Cuban family! Five members of the RAICES ("Roots") ministry team are visiting for about two weeks. We have had a lot of great relational time as well as intentional ministry time. The RAICES team will join the Latino community on our retreat this weekend, where we will be learning about praising God in a variety of contexts.
- Pray for our fall trimester planning process. Pray for volunteers, students and kids to be drawn to our programs. Pray that hearts are soft and ready to respond to God’s leading.
- We are making progress on the house rehab and Christ Community Church has been partnering with us every step of the way. They are organizing work days this Saturday, August 30 and next Saturday, September 6th starting at 9:00. We will be installing siding, caulking windows, repairing the porch, and painting. Email Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to sign up to help.
- LIT has been gifted tablets to use with LIT this school year. We are in need of cases to protect the tablets. If you would like to donate one, check out our Wishlist: LIT Wishlist. If you have questions please contact Kristen Maxwell at email@example.com or Megan McDermott at meganm@Missionadelante.org.