One of the best parts of sharing life with the community of Mission Adelante is that we are privileged to be invited into milestone celebrations. We love embracing the uniqueness of the different cultures that we serve and celebrating that culture right alongside our friends!
I met Gissel seven years ago when I began serving at Mission Adelante. At the time she was eight years old and had this very sweet spark of innocence in her. She has always had a very special place in my heart because of her inherent goodness, compassion for others, and her tenacious spirit. As she has matured, she has grown up participating in our outreach Bible study, our after-school tutoring program, our teens program, and recently gained admittance to Bishop Ward, one of the best hig schools in Kansas City! God has blessed us with the opportunity to walk with her and her entire family.
We have seen the importance of planting the seeds of Christ early in the life of a child and how, when tended over the years, those seeds can grow into strong saplings. Watching Gissel walk up to the altar with her parents on the day of the quinceanera was a strong reminder to me of God's goodness and faithfulness. Investing in the children of our community requires time, patience, and faith that God is in control. As I looked at this beautiful young woman, remembering her when she was so young, I found myself praising God for how He has lovingly guided her over the years. I am excited to see where He will lead her!
In other news:
- We relaunched one of our Latino House churches this weekend. It was exciting to see some members reconnect who had been absent for a long time.
- We are excited to welcome our Cuban family, Raices ("Roots"), as they arrive in Kansas City for ten days. We are looking forward to fellowship, laughter, fun, and the Lord to continue uniting our ministries to spread the Gospel.
- The RAICES team from Cuba will be in Kansas City for 2 weeks! Please pray that their visit will be fruitful, that there would be mutual learning between our community and theirs.
- Please pray for Adelante Thrift while we work through the lease for our location.
- Continue to pray for members of our community looking for work. Pray for good pay and healthy work environments.
- Please pray for the health of one of our dear friends in the Bhutanese Community, Mon Maya, as she has been sick for several months.
- The family members of one of our Cuban community members just received visas to join him in Kansas City after a four year wait. Please pray for the Lord to guide them through all that immigration to the US entails, and to provide for their needs as they settle here.
- Volunteers for our Fall Trimester, beginning the week of September 15:
- Monday-Thursday afternoons: 20 volunteers to serve one afternoon a week at Leaders In Training, our after-school tutoring and character development program for a select group of 8-13 year old Bhutanese and Latino students. Contact Kristen Maxwell at email@example.com or Megan McDermott at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tuesday evenings: 8 volunteers to serve at Kids Club, our outreach Bible study for 1-13 year old Bhutanese kids. Contact Kristen Maxwell at email@example.com.
- Thursday evenings:
- Volunteer conversation partners for our Adult ESL classes. Contact Morgan Ham at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 5 volunteers to serve at Kids Adelante, our outreach Bible study for 5-12 year old Latino kids. Contact Megan McDermott at email@example.com.
- LIT has been gifted tablets to use with LIT this school year. We are in need of cases to protect the tablets. If you would like to donate one, check out our Wishlist: LIT Wishlist If you have questions please contact Kristen Maxwell at firstname.lastname@example.org or Megan McDermott at meganm@Missionadelante.org
- The RG Asian store is expanding their store to include a restaurant. They are currently in need of a few small tables and chairs. Please contact David Stetler at email@example.com.
- We are making steady progress on the house rehab, and will soon need appliances. Please contact Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to donate an electric range/oven, washer, electric dryer, or dishwasher.
- We want to re-open our resource center well-stocked with food baskets. Check out this link http://www.missionadelante.org/serviceprojects/ or contact Molly Merrick at email@example.com for more information about how to get involved.